In coming days I will be publishing articles on WordPress How To’s using child theme. A WordPress child theme is a theme that inherits the functionality of another theme, called the parent theme, and allows you to modify, or add to, the functionality of that parent theme.
Making a child theme is very simple. Create a directory, put a properly formatted style.css file in it, and you have a child theme! Child theme is the way to extend the parent theme without editing the parent theme. That way, when the parent theme is updated, your modifications are preserved.
Let’s create a simple Twenty Eleven Child Theme
- As I said earlier, to create a simple child theme, you will need at least a style.css file in the directory. As we go along, you will create the following files as well.
- Template files (optional)
- Other files (optional)
twentyelevenchild. However, you can name the folder anything.
style.cssfile with the following text and put it inside the
/* Theme Name: Twenty Eleven Child Theme URI: http://theme.wordpress.com/themes/twentyeleven/ Description: Child theme for the Twenty Eleven theme Author: Jinnat Ul Hasan Author URI: http: //wprockers.com/ Template: twentyeleven Version: 0.1.0 */
Theme Name. (required) Child theme name.
Theme URI. (optional) Child theme webpage.
Description. (optional) Description of the child theme.
Author URI. (optional) Author homepage.
Author. (optional) Author name.
Template. (required) directory name of parent theme, case-sensitive.
Version. (optional) Child theme version. E.g.: 0.1, 1.0, etc.
twentyelevenchildto its theme folder and activate from
Dashboard > Appearance > Themesoptions.
Wow! You have just created a child theme by your own.
Alternatively, you can download this blank theme and upload to your blog.
Let me know if you are facing any problem creating the WordPress child theme. We are always beside you to help. For professional WordPress customization, check out our WordPress Setup & Customozation packages to suit your requirements.
Jinnat Ul Hasan
DO YOU NEED OUR HELP?Contact our experts, most of the time we assist our readers free of charge.
Those who found this page were searching for:
- hide author in wordpress twenty eleven
- twenty eleven remove "remove proudly powered by" child theme
- simply remove Proudly powered by WordPress
- twenty eleven wordpress theme modification
- twenty eleven child themes
- remove proudly child theme
- WordPress TwentyEleven childTheme
- wordpress remove author from post twentyeleven
- how to create a wordpress child theme -video
- wordpress exclude child template from using parent template